Tuesday, September 28, 2010

How To: Combine 2 Columns into 1 in Excel ("Concatenate")



This question comes up sometimes... “How do I combine the first and last name columns into one column?” (by the way, this is officially called concatenation, which essentially means “linking things together”)

I’m sure some of you already know how to do this, but I didn’t. So, I decided that rather than ask our Tech Director how to do it (which I was going to do since I know she knows how to do it and could tell me/show me really fast), I decided to “Google it”! In Google search, I typed
“how to combine two columns in excel” -- (here's the search results page... can't guarantee that the current results match what I got, but...)

Below is what I found... (first link!) It’s a YouTube video (which we, staff, all have access to now) and about
3 minutes long... A lot less time than it would take to retype all these names!!! The guy is a little goofy, but it’s a great demo of this plus a few other little tips (a couple I didn’t know!!!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe91iB_4bR8

Perhaps some other of his other videos might be helpful as well, I know I will be checking back with him...

No comments:

Post a Comment